The Metropole was built on the site of a courtyard with an open-air stage. It was used as a training area for the Birkirkara football club.
Constructors had been working on the erection of the theatre for a whole year, since June 1953.
Paul Baldacchino standing on the balcony, overseeing the construction of the theatre.
The metal frame of the sliding roof.
The closed roof of the theatre.
The opened sliding roof of the theatre.
Workers who helped in the construction of the Metropole theatre.
The projectionists at the Metropole: Joseph Grech, Louis Mamo and Frankie Grech in 1961.
The Metropole theatre's bar.
The ticketbooth of the theatre.
The first audience at the launch of the Metropole theatre on 17th April 1954.
Guests arriving on the inaugural evening of the Metropole theare in April 1954 including the Hon. Dr. T Caruana Demajo, Minister for Industry and Commerce.
The Hon. Dr. T Caruana Demajo, Minister for Industry and Commerce, being shown around the theatre's technical room.
The theatre was also used as a venue for events such as the Carnival Ball.